1-281-DIVORCE (348-6723)

What to Say in Front of Judge to Get Divorced Texas

Lawyer divorce

If you have an attorney, that attorney will likely ask you questions that are as follows. If you have no attorney, sometimes the Judge will help you and ask you these questions, but the Judge is not required nor do they generally help you out.  Feel feel to print out the questions and use when you go to court.

  • Please state your full name?
  • You are currently married to [Name of Spouse]?
  • Prior to filing this action, were you a domiciliary of the State of Texas for at least six months?
  • Were you a resident of [Name of County] County for at least ninety days?
  • You and your spouse were married on or about [date of marriage]?
  • You ceased to live together as husband and wife on or about [date of separation]?
  • Has this marriage become insupportable because of a discord or conflict of personalities between you and your spouse that destroys the legitimate ends of the marriage relationship?
  • Is there any reasonable expectation of reconciliation?
  • (If applicable) You have [#] [child/children] born of this marriage who are not now emancipated?
  • Prior to coming to court today, had you ever been to court before to establish the parent child relationship between you, the children and your spouse?
  • These children own no property other than their personal effects? (clothes and/or electronics).
  • You and your spouse are not expecting a child at this time?
  • If asking for Joint managing conservatorship, some Judges ask or want to hear, if there has been any domestic violence in the last two years.
  • You have reach an agreement for visitation, health insurance, and child support?
  • Do you feel your agreement is in the best interest of the children?
  • Have you and your spouse reached an agreement with regard to the division of the marital estate, including division of assets and payment of debts?
  • Do you believe that the proposed agreement is a just and right division of the debts and property that was acquired during the marriage?
  • I am going to hand you a document entitled “Agreed Final Decree of Divorce” and asks you if you are familiar with that document?
  • Does that document contain the agreements we just discussed with regard to the division of assets and debts of the community estate?
  • Does that document contain the agreements with regard to the conservatorship, possession and support of your minor child?
  • Are you asking the court to approve the agreements in the form contained in the Agreed Final Decree of Divorce?
  • Are you asking the court to grant your divorce?
  • I am going to direct your attention to page [page number with spouse’s signature] of the “Agreed Final Decree of Divorce”.
  • Throughout the marriage, have you become familiar with your spouse’s signature?
  • Do you recognize the signature on page [#] to be that of your spouse?
  • You are asking your name to be changed to [requested new full name]?
  • Is this your [maiden/former] name?


  • You are not requesting this name change to avoid criminal prosecution or the threat of criminal prosecution, are you?
  • You are not requesting this name change to avoid creditors, are you?
  • You are not requesting this name change to commit fraud on any person or entity, are you?
  • You have never been convicted of a sex offense?



Michael Busby Jr. is a divorce & family law attorney,  who practices in Harris and Fort Bend Counties, Texas. He has been in practice for over 14 years and has tried over 300 cases.  He is familiar with the policy and procedures of the Harris and Fort Bend County Texas Divorce Courts.   Our office is open until 8:30 p.m. on Wednesdays and Saturday from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. for working folks. Michael Busby Jr. 6100 Corporate Dr Ste 190 Houston, Texas 77036 (713) 974-1151  281-DIVORCE Visit me on the web at www.busby-lee.com


Share this post

Related Posts

Michael Busby is a Houston divorce lawyer who has been in practice for over 20 years and appears daily in the Family Law Courts of Harris County and Fort Bend County Texas

Busby & Associates , have two Houston Offices, one in Chinatown, Houston Texas and another in Independent Heights, Houston, Texas. Michael Busby is Board Certified in Family law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization.