1-281-DIVORCE (348-6723)

Debt Collection

Debt collection could be initiated in Texas through following ways:

  • Filing a lawsuit and the remedies given to one who obtains a judgment if the suit is won.
  • Sending demand letters to you
  • Calling you at work or home
  • Reporting you to a credit bureau
  • If the creditor has a lien on your property,then they can take the property attached to the lien.
  • Eviction can force you to leave your residence after creditors file a writ of forcible entry and get an order allowing them to lock you out of the property.

If the debt is more than 4 years old, then they can send you invoices and still report on your credit, for up to 7 years after the last transaction which is the last payment or the last charge.  While they can invoice you, they are not allowed to threaten you with legal actions as they do not have the capacity to sue you on a time barred debt.  You may try some credit disputes letters if you are past the 4 year window and have not been able to obtain credit to clear up your existing credit.  If you are past the 7 year mark for credit reporting and the debt is still show on your credit report then you may have a cause of action under the Federal Fair Credit Reporting Act.