1-281-DIVORCE (348-6723)


1-281-DIVORCE (348-6723)

Houston Texas Divorce Lawyer

Legal separation Texas

Houston Texas Divorce Lawyer, Busby & Associates is a full-service family law firm that can assist you with every aspect of your divorce, including:

  • Child      Custody
  • Property      Division
  • Retirement      Fund Division
  • Name      Changes
  • Mediation
  • Trial (Bench or Jury)

We will be with you every step of the way, from filing an answer to the Petition for Divorce to defending your rights in trial.


Does “legal separation” exist in Texas?

No, there is no such this as a “legal separation” under theTexaslaw. Even though temporary orders may be entered by the court, they may not be construed as a legal separation. Community property and debt will continue to accrue until you are divorced.

How long does it take to get divorced?

No divorce will be granted until sixty (60) days have elapsed from the filing of the Petition for Divorce. This is the minimum waiting period as prescribed by the Texas Family Code.

What is Community and Separated Property?

It is presumed in theTexasfamily Code that all property acquired by the parties during the marriage is community property. Separated property is property owned by a spouse prior to marriage or acquired during the marriage by gift, or inheritance

What property must be in the Divorce Decree?

Every article of property that was acquired during the marriage that is not separate property must be disposed of in the divorce decree. This would include furniture, vehicles, homes, real property and retirement funds. It is important to understand that even if there is no dispute as to the division of property in the divorce, all community property must be disposed of in the decree.

What if a child is involved in the divorce?

If a child is involved in the divorce,Texascourts generally require some form of child support payment. This is determined by the net resources of the parent obligated to make the payment and without regard to the position of the parent receiving the support. Net resources are determined using a table from the Texas Attorney General’s office and includes salary commissions and other forms of income. A percentage of net income will then be designated child support.

What type of child custody can I get?

The Texas Family Code allows for wither Join Managing Conservatorship or Sole Managing Conservatorship. There are differences between the two with respect to the rights, duties and powers each parent retains. The Texas Family Code presumes it is in the best interest of the child to have a joint managing conservatorship.

Do I have any rights after my divorce?

ABSOLUTELY!  If your ex- spouse does not comply with the terms of the Final Divorce Decree, you may seek to ENFORCE those terms which are being violated. We can help you enforce your rights at any time.

About the Author

Michael Busby Jr. is a divorce and family law lawyer who practices in Harris County Texas and the counties that surround Harris County.  Which includes the communities of Baytown, Bellaire, Bunker Hill, Deer Park, Friendswood, Galena Park, Humble, Jacinto City, Katy, La Porte, Pasadena, Tomball, West University, Cypress, Crosby, Woodlands, Denver Harbor, Spring & Alief. He has been in practice for over 10 years and has tried over 100 cases.  He is familiar with the policy and procedures of the Houston Texas Divorce Courts.   Our office is open until 8:30 p.m. on Wednesdays and Saturday from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. for working folks.  Please call with your family law or divorce questions for uncontested divorce Houston Texas.

Michael Busby Jr.

6100 Corporate Dr Ste 190

Houston, Texas 77036

(713) 974-1151


Visit me on the web at www.busby-lee.com


Share this post

Related Posts

Michael Busby is a Houston divorce lawyer who has been in practice for over 20 years and appears daily in the Family Law Courts of Harris County and Fort Bend County Texas

Busby & Associates , have two Houston Offices, one in Chinatown, Houston Texas and another in Independent Heights, Houston, Texas. Michael Busby is Board Certified in Family law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization.