Family Based Greencard | Houston Divorce Lawyer
  • Spanish Family Lawers Houston
  • Email Us:
  • Have Questions? Call 1-281-DIVORCE (348-6723)

Family Based Greencard

  • Home
  • Family Based Greencard

An alien can get a family based greencard through sponsorship by a close relative staying in the US if such relative is a permanent resident (i.e. greencard holder) or a US citizen (USC).

A USC may sponsor the following relatives so long as the relationship can be established:

  1. Spouse;
  2. Married or unmarried son or daughter;
  3. Parent or sibling, if the sponsor is 21 years or above.

A greencard holder may sponsor the following relatives so long as the relationship can be established :

  1. Spouse;
  2. Unmarried son or daughter.

Obligations of Greencard

Greencardholders are also required to meet certain obligations, such as :

  1. Greencard holders must reside in the US for at least 182 days per year.
  2. They must not vote.
  3. A greencard holder who is a male over 17 years but under 26 years must register with the Selective Service. Failure to do so, may lead to criminal prosecution and deportation upon conviction.
  4. Greencard holders must pay their taxes and report any change of address to the USCIS within 10 days.
  5. Greencard holders must have their permanent resident children register with the USCIS within 10 days of turning 14.
  6. Greencard can be revoked for several reasons including but not limited to illegal acts, abandonment of permanent residence, drug use etc.

Get In Touch

Fields with an * are required.